Friday, February 27, 2015

The Needs of the Many...


Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015


Before this blog, before I left school, before my first kiss, before I even loved Batman, there was Star Trek.
 
Some of my earliest memories are of my mother and I (back in the good ol’ days before she remarried) watching reruns of The Next Generation.  I know it wasn’t necessarily her first pick of shows to watch, but I was awestruck.  And she saw that.  I have vivid memories of spring and summer time Saturday evenings watching the exploits the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise and marveling at the technology on the screen.  When Steve Jobs died in October 2011, I remember instantly thinking that the world had lost, not only a genius, but the man that brought us closest to Star Trek becoming a reality.



The vision Star Trek and of Gene Roddenberry, creator of the franchise, was of a better life than what mankind had at the time (and today, if I’m being honest).  No war, no poverty, no hate.  One of the more overt messages Star Trek transmitted was against racial prejudice.  Lieutenant Uhura, portrayed by Nichelle Nichols, was one of the first prominent black actors on television.  In the episode "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", Captain Kirk and the crew encounter a race of people locked in a constant civil war.  Despite the crew not understanding the basis for their hated, the aliens find their difference to be obvious: half of their race has white skin tone on the left side of their face and the right half is black, whereas the other half of the race has the reverse (black on the left, white on the right).  This lamp-shaded the idiocy of the racial divides of the United States in 2015 1969.


Spock, one of my favorite characters since first being introduced to the character over twenty years ago, is probably the most iconic and influential characters in the entirety of the franchise.  The man behind the ears, Leonard Nimoy, was the reason for that.  Appearing in the entirety of the original Star Trek series, six films dedicated to that cast (directing two of them), two episodes of The Next Generation, and bridging the gap between the original crew to the crew of the reboot films with Zachary Quinto taking over as the character of Spock, Leonard Nimoy was referred to as the “conscious of Star Trek’.  I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Nimoy at a convention years ago.  It was brief, but I knew instantly why so many loved him.



He was an actor.  He was a director.  He was a writer.  He was a poet.  He was a mentor.  He was a husband.  He was a brother. 
He was a father. 
He was a friend. 
He was a good man.

I'll leave you with his final message to the world.  Great words to live by.

 
Live long and prosper.

-Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment